Caliari Paolo called Paolo Veronese, circle
(Verona 1528 - Venice 1588)
The painting is a copy of Veronese’s altarpiece executed for the now destroyed church of Santi Giacomo e Filippo, which since 1892 has been housed in Palazzo Bianco in Genoa. It was the Veronese artist’s only publicly displayed work in Genoa, an absolute masterpiece for the locl school, which used it as a model in learning how to paint ‘Venitian-syle’. The colours of the Galleria’s painting are lighter than those of the altarpiece in Genoa, even though – as in the latter – the darkness of the sky makes the figure of Christ extremely dramatic.
Medium | oil on canvas, cm 79 x 59
Inventory | 107
Period | '500
Classification | painting